Char Siu marinade
|2 Tablespoon honey|
2 Tablespoon brown sugar
2 Tablespoon hoisin sauce
1 Tablespoon dark soy sauce
1 Tablespoon Vegetable oil
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 teaspoon molasses
|2 teaspoon salt|
1.5 teaspoon five-spice powder
1 teaspoon white pepper.
1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine
1 Tablespoon preserved bean curd
1 teaspoon rose water
1 Tablespoon hot water
*A few drop of red food coloring
- Combine all the ingredients and mix to make the marinate
- Save 2 Tablespoon of marinate for basting
- 3 Tablespoon marinade
- 2 Tablespoon honey
3 lbs pork (neck/shoulder/sirloin/tenderloin)
- Cut into 3-inch thick strips
- Marinate in the fridge for at least 8 hours.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, and place a wire rack on top. Arrange pork over a wire rack and roast (bake) at 320 Fahrenheit for 30 minutes on the middle rack, or until internal temperature reaches 170 F. Science: Cooking at low temperature prevents rapid evaporation of water and produces moister results.
- Remove pork and baste with glaze sauce.
- Pre-heat oven to 450 F. Science: High-temperature increase Maillard reaction to produce aromatic and flavoring chemicals.
- Bake for 10 minutes
- Broil for 2 minutes on each side
- Rest for 3-5 minutes and serve. Science: Resting allows water and steam to settle and attract to the proteins through intermolecular interactions.