Practical strategies to support parents and help students with individualized Multi-tiered System of Support and Intervention.
Have transparency to create a culture of trust and responsibility.
Using a comprehensive and flexible Learning Management System website, it is easy to establish transparency in class to promote a culture of trust and responsibility. However, teachers need to be flexible and empathetic. Some teachers have zero-exception policies during in-person teaching. It will not work for distance learning. Fortunately, teachers can personalized interventions to provide case-by-case interventions and support based on detailed data of students’ effort and progress using a comprehensive Learning Management System website.
Parent Engagement and Responsibility: Parents with children diagnosed with disabilities need to access appropriate data and resources to support their child at home. Teachers and parents can use this data from the Learning Management System website to facilitate the discussion to support students during the IEP meetings.
Comprehensive Gradebook: Parents should have access to a detailed and comprehensive gradebook to assess their child’s progress in your class.
Goal setting: Teachers and parents can make measurable and realistic goals for students to motivate and support the child. The comprehensive data will illuminate about the student’s learning outcomes by looking at the student’s effort and academic challenges. If students are struggling, teachers and parents can provide an addition to academic support. If it’s about behavioral or lack of effort, then teachers and parents focus on the problems to provide meaningful intervention.
Live asynchronous direct instruction
Low-quality internet or video-communication makes it very difficult for students to hear your lectures, and it’s difficult to determine if students are listening to you are not.
Asynchronous videos are embedded interactive questions that allow students to watch a video lecture and answer questions at their own pace.
- Free tools to record screen: Screencastify (Free for 5 Minutes) OBS studio (Unlimited)
- Improve your audio tremendously with a Blue Yeti Nano.
- Free Video editing software: Movie Maker (Window) or iMovie (Apple)
- Free video hosting: YouTube (You can hide your video by choosing unlisted, so users with your link can view it)
- Use your phones: Use your phone to record hand-written explanations, such as solving math problems. Then, upload it to your computer to edit your video. You can improve your audio tremendously with a USB microphone.
During a live asynchronous direct instruction, you can view the live data from your Learning Management System website to identify struggling/ off-task students to provide private intervention through private chat. This makes the process make everyone feels they are in class together.
Live asynchronous independent practices
It’s very dull for students to work alone at home when teachers assign independent work during school hours. Using live video conferencing, teachers can bring the class together virtually. Students can privately chat with another student, all students, or a teacher as if they are in class together. Also, teachers can address all students as if they are in class together.
Redefine informal assessments, feedback, and grading
Depending on your Learning Management System website, you can create embedded auto-graded informal assessments that provide students instant feedback and adaptive learning experiences.
- Redefine Worksheets: Working with other teachers, you can convert boring worksheets into engaging and fun online activities. Because it’s auto-graded with instant feedback, you can save hundreds of hours on grading and providing feedback.
- Redefine Google Presentations: You can embed informal assessments in your Google Presentation to keep students on task and check for understanding immediately.